Oscar de la Renta dressed scores of socialites and starlets, but his most iconic looks are those we remember because some of the world’s most famous women chose them to wear on some of their biggest nights. Here are a few:
[contentblock id=1 img=adsense.png]
2. Nominated for her role in “Sex and the City,” Sarah Jessica Parker chose a pink feathered dress — de la Renta at his most Carrie Bradshaw-inspired — to wear to the 2000 Emmy Awards.
3. For the second Bush inaugural in 2005, de la Renta designed a silver-and-ice-blue tulle v-neck gown for Laura Bush.
4. How popular was Oscar de la Renta in Washington? So popular that Laura Bush was prompted to change out of the red embroidered tulle ensemble that she wore for the first part of the Kennedy Center Honors in December 2006 when four other women showed up that night in the same gown.
5. De la Renta was also tapped to design Jenna Bush’s wedding gown in spring 2008.
6. At the 2008 Republican National Convention, Cindy McCain wore a gold full-skirted shirtwaist dress by de la Renta.
7. When she served as co-chair of the Met Ball in 2010, Oprah Winfrey wore a custom navy silk gown from de la Renta — and arrived on the red carpet with the man himself.
8. Huma Abedin wanted an Indian-inspired gown for her 2010 wedding with then-Rep. Anthony Weiner. De la Renta told Vogue that designing the embroidered, cap-sleeved gown for the Clinton aide “was like dressing Scheherazade, the beautiful queen from ‘One Thousand and One Nights.’”
9. Nominated for best supporting actress, Amy Adams instead made many of the best-dressed lists in her Oscar gown for the 2013 Oscars.
[contentblock id=2 img=adsense.png]
10. People magazine was one of an elite few publications given exclusive rights to the photos of Amal Alamuddin’s gown, designed by Oscar de la Renta, at her wedding to George Clooney in Venice, Italy last month.