Exclusive Interview of Kao Pao Shu With Designerz Central. She has share her life and words about her career.
1. Share with us your career profile
I have a background in Fine Arts and I started to apply my skills through Fashion Design, specializing in bags. This started the creation of Kao Pao Shu.
2. What inspired you to become a designer?
I was actually inspired by the necessity. I was living in post-war Sarajevo where there was nothing of interest available on the market. I was a student of Academy of Fine Arts so it seemed logical that I should create something, rather than look for something that I could not find. That is when I happened stumble upon a roll of webbing and was inspired to create the first bag.
3. What is your designing philosophy, what do you keep in mind while designing?
My philosophy is very practical. I work with material and experiment with shapes and textures most of the time. This allows me a very hands-on approach to design.
4. What is your brand all about?
It is very much about where geometry meets fashion. How far can a line go and how it can transfer itself into something beautiful. I created a way you can take simple shapes and give them life so they become products.
5. How has your brand evolved over the years?
It started from a simple idea that grew into a marketable product, which grew into a collection that fulfills different needs.
6. Which markets are you currently catering too?
We are working on building our presence in the American market. Our product is made in the USA and is distributed mostly in Japan, but we are now ready to embrace the challenge and really incorporate ourselves locally.
7. What would you call the “Defining moment of your Career”?
The moment I moved to the US and decided to build my own brand.
8. The business cycle is not easy to endure. Can you name a Guru who guided you?
I’m still searching ….
9. When you see one of your designs looking good on an individual, how do you feel?
10. Is there one person you would love to see wearing Kao Pao Shu?
11. What do you think is the top clothing and/or bag trend for this upcoming season?
Individuality is always my top clothing trend.
12. What thrills you?
My sewing machine. I had it customized to reach extreme velocity.
13. How do you see your work, five years from now?
I always see it as an element that fulfills my life - something visible on the streets internationally, worn by beautiful and interesting individuals, fulfilling my life with passion and joy in the process of creating it.
14. Any fashion advice you want to give to youth?
Patience and persistence and as little compromise as possible.