Prince William, 37, became the first member of the British Royal Family to publically address the coronavirus pandemic in a rousing message to Britons last week. Former air ambulance pilot William made a video asking people to donate to the Emergency Services Trust during this critical period.
In the video, William urged Britons to “pull together” to “overcome the challenge” coronavirus currently poses to the nation.
The statesmanlike language he used in the address showed he was ready to one day be King.
While the Queen and heir apparent had to withdraw from social interactions as a precautionary measure, Prince William and Kate, Duchess of Cambridge were able to make one very important visit.
On Thursday, the couple made a visit to a London Ambulance 111 call room in London.
By making an appearance during a difficult time for the nation, William and Kate sent a morale-boosting message to Britons.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry encouraged fans to take care of their mental health amid the coronavirus outbreak, however one royal commentator has claimed the Sussexes’ Instagram post is unlikely to carry much clout back in the UK.
Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams told Express.co.uk: “William recently highlighted the importance of local communities and the help they offer to those affected by Covid-19 and the most vulnerable in his video for the National Emergencies Trust.
“When he and Kate visited NHS 111 to thank staff for their help, on which we all rely so much, it was undoubtedly a morale booster.”
According to Mr Fitzwilliams, Kate and William have stepped up as more senior royals are having to self-isolate because of their age.
He said: “The senior members of the ‘inner core’ of the Royal Family are the Queen and Prince Philip who are in their nineties and The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall who are in their seventies and are socially distancing though, as on Mother’s Day, they can connect with the public on social media. The Queen has sent a timely message to the nation about the crisis.
“George and his siblings are still extremely young, but, as we saw from George’s handmade floral creation on his delightful Mother’s Day card, they can make lively contributions.”
Mr Fitzwilliams claimed “a very considerable responsibility” rests with william and Kate during this “unprecedented emergency.”
He said: “A very considerable responsibility rests on the Cambridges.”
Mr Fitzwilliams added: “Their movements are obviously followed avidly by the press and social media and they are certain to rise to the challenge of boosting morale, whilst complying with the behaviour recommended by the government.
“They will undoubtedly send messages which will reach a huge audience through their eleven million followers on Instagram and get thoughts and ideas across during the unprecedented emergency that we all face.
“The Mother’s Day photos they shared were enchanting.”
According to Mr Fitzwilliams, the spotlight may not be focussed on Meghan and Harry as the couple remain in Canada.
He added: “The Sussexes will undoubtedly contribute on Instagram but during this crisis, but, as they have chosen to be abroad, they are likely to be sidelined.”
Kate and Prince William’s Mother’s Day post got one million likes on Instagram.
While Meghan and Harry’s post was liked 626,000 times.